Updated February 25, 2021
Due to warming temperatures ski trail conditions and ice rink conditions are rapidly deteriorating. The extended forecast predicts consistent temperatures well above freezing and therefore at this point we do not foresee conditions improving this season.
The following trails were groomed Monday, February 22
- Carlson Park
- Trout Run Trail section beginning at the west end of Dug Road and traveling east to the Fish Hatchery
- Will Baker Athletic Fields
The following trails were groomed Tuesday, February 23
- Decorah Community Prairie
- Luther College Intramural Fields
- Luther Gateway Prairie
- Trout Run Trail from the Decorah Campground to the Fish Hatchery traveling south
Decorah Parks & Recreation encourages those snowshoeing to use the multi-use trail in Carlson Park, the Decorah Community Prairie, and the trails in Van Peenen. Please be courteous of skiers and stay off the groomed ski trails.
Plowed Walking Routes – new this season!
Staff will plow routes for walking throughout the winter season.
- Route #1: Starting at 5th Ave Bridge, travel south along bike trail to Pulpit Rock Campground. Pulpit Rock Campground will be plowed for pedestrians to walk loops around the campground and can return to 5th Ave bridge via the bike trail.
- Route #2: Freeport trail is plowed from Bowstring Bridge to Haugen Hummel. Pedestrians can park in the parking lot by bowstring bridge or in the northwest corner of the Walmart Parking lot.
Ice Skating Rink
The skating rink opened for the season January 1, 2021. The warming house and restrooms are closed due to COVID-19, but a porta potty is available. There is no rink attendant. Please obey signage and be mindful of cones which indicate poor ice conditions. Park-Rec staff will continue to add water to the rink evenings when overnight temperatures dip into the teens. It is important that individuals stay off the rink after it is flooded to give water time to freeze and make good ice.